Sweetwater seeks a full-time assistant director and gallery manager. The position would support all aspects of gallery operations, including exhibition development, communication with artists and clients, and general day-to-day gallery management.
The ideal candidate is someone passionate and interested in contemporary art, who is eager to learn and develop as the gallery grows. This position will interface with artists and clients of the gallery, so strong interpersonal skills are required. Regular gallery hours are 11am to 6pm, Tuesday to Saturday, with occasional events taking place in the evening. Travel may be required for certain off-site projects and art fairs.
Sweetwater is a contemporary art gallery focusing on emerging artists, founded in 2018. In addition to a regular exhibition program at the gallery on Leipziger Straße, Sweetwater participates in a number of international art fairs and offsite projects. The gallery currently represents eight artists from across Europe and the United States, and also regularly collaborates with a wide range of other artists and galleries.
- Exhibition development:
- Assistance in production, organization, installation, and transportation
- Creation of press releases, checklists, and other materials
- Artist relationship management:
- Communication and management regarding upcoming projects
- Maintenance of artist portfolios and CVs
- Client relationship management:
- Coordination and communication with collectors, curators, press, and others
- General gallery tasks:
- Welcoming visitors to the gallery and giving tours of exhibitions
- Ensuring a clean and organized workspace
- General record-keeping (including maintaining databases and archiving documents and expenses)
- Interest and enthusiasm for contemporary art, both in Germany and abroad
- Experience working in the visual arts (commercial gallery experience preferred but not required)
- Extremely good organizational skills with ability to solve problems efficiently
- Ability to communicate effectively with artists, collectors, curators, press, and other third parties
- Fluency in German and English, both written and spoken. Please do not apply without fluency in German.
To apply, send your CV and a cover letter to
with “Application” in the subject line.